East Asia Net Group Joint BoF
Time: 2004.1.30 (Fri) 8:00-11:00
Place: Room F, Hawaii Imin Int'l Conference Center
Chair: Hakikur Rahman/ Wanchai.r
Group secretary: Ajantha Athukorala
APAN Sec Staff: Chin Hooi
0800-0930 On Southeast Asia Net Group
Report on Bangkok Southeast Asia Net Group BoF
Report on Southeast Asia Cluster Meeting
Report on TEIN2 Information Day
Report on TEIN2 Session
Report on Members(my, ph, sg, th)
Report on Non-Members(bn, kh, id, la, mm, vn)
0930-1100 Collaboration between South and Southeast
TEIN2 Complimentary Project(APANconnect)
Joint Regional Meeting(south/southeast) Proposal
Philippine Research Education and Government Information Network (PREGINET)
Lanka Educational And Research Network
South Asia NET Group
1. Suguru Yamaguchi made presentation on AI3 Project.
2. Kilnam Chon asked whether the Mongolia would be covered under AI3 project.
Suguru Yamaguchi said they are contacting Mongolia on this matter now.
3. Suguru yamaguchi also said normally the connecting party would provide the
under AI3 project, but AI3 would provide some financial supports too if
4. Ajantha made presentation on "Lanka Education and Research Network".
5. Ajantha made presentation on "APAN SANG".
6. Ajantha made presentation on "South Asia Net Group".
7. Kilnam Chon made the update on the APAN member application from India. He
made a brief
explanation on applying party, ERNET.
8. BH Seo said India, Pakiatan and Sri Lanka should have close relationship
with each other
since they share the same culture, language, etc.
9. Dennis made presentation on South East Asia (SEA) Net Group. He said the
idea was to focus on high speed
network in South East Asia mainly on Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.
9. Dennis made the update on Philippines R&E Network, PREGINET.
10. Royol Chitraon made presentation on Thailand R&E Network and urged the SEA
APAN members to
work closely with the telco companies.
11. Dennis said that SEA Net Group would work as a group alone. Kilnam Chon
said more issues
should be considered before deciding it.
12. Kilnam Chon said SEA Net Group should have more meetings in different
context, such as in
AI3, TEIN2 Meeting in KL, etc.
13. Kilanam Chon made explanation on TEIN2 project.
13. Kilnam Chon also said those non-ASEM countries (India, Vietnam, Loas,
should be considered to get connected. Further considerations and surveys have
to be made to realize it.
14. He also hoped that APAN members such as Japan and Korea would participate
TEIN2 project actively.
15. As a conclusion, Dennis said there were a lot of challenges and also
opportunities for SEA
and South Asia Net Group, further meetings between SEA and South Asia Net
Group members should be
Shigeki Goto/Waseda Univ.
Nestor C. Tiglao/Univ. of the Phils
Yong-jin Park/Hanyang Univ.
Dennis F. Villorente/ASTI
Please check back here for
Last Updated: 2004.1.7